The Supreme Court of Mexico has legalized abortion in its country. That is, abortion has been removed from the category of crime in our country.
Mexico's top court said in a statement that the system punishing abortion is unconstitutional because it violates women's human rights.
- Earlier, in a similar ruling, Mexico's top court had said that abortion is not a crime and women can get an abortion in the country without fear of punishment.
- This decision has come after two years. The court ruled that the portion of the federal penal code outlawing abortion is no longer in effect. No woman or health worker will now be punished for abortion.
- Earlier in 2007, abortion had been legalized in 12 cities of 32 states of Mexico, including Mexico City.
Abortion in India:
- In India and some other countries, abortion can be performed during a certain period of pregnancy. In India, abortion can be done within a certain time limit with certain conditions.
- However, women are not given free rein to do so. This can be possible only when the doctor feels that abortion is necessary. For this, Medical Termination (Amendment) Rules, 2021 (MTP Act) have been made in the country.
Abortion rules in other countries of the world:
- In Pakistan, Afghanistan and Sri Lanka, abortion can be done only if there is any threat to the life of the pregnant woman.
- Abortion is completely banned in Bangladesh and Bahrain, but abortion can be performed if the life of the pregnant woman is in danger.
- In China and Canada, women are completely free to have abortions.
- In France, abortion can be done at any time if a woman's life is in danger. In other circumstances, abortion can be done within 14 weeks of pregnancy.
- In Iraq, Lebanon and Libya, abortion can be performed if the life of a pregnant woman is in danger.
- Currency: Mexican peso
- Capital: Mexico City
- President: Andrés Manuel López Obrador