India has been re-elected as the Chair of the AIBD GC for the third consecutive term to lead the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) General Conference (GC), a prestigious international organization.
- In an unprecedented development, India has already completed two terms as the President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) General Conference (GC) from 2018-2021 and 2021-2023.
AIBD General Conference organized:
- The meeting was successfully held on 02-04 October, 2023 in Port Louis, Mauritius.
- The 21st General Conference of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) and Associated Meetings 2023 (GC 2023) was chaired by AIBD President Gaurav Dwivedi (CEO Prasar Bharati).
- The two-day conference aims to create a vibrant and cohesive electronic media environment in the Asia-Pacific region through policy and resource development.
Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD):
- AIBD is a specialized regional inter-governmental organization established in 1977 under the auspices of UNESCO.
- The organization currently has 92 member organizations from 44 countries, including 26 government members (countries), represented by 48 broadcasting authorities and broadcasters, and 44 associates (organizations).
- They represent 28 countries and territories from Asia, the Pacific, Europe, Africa, the Arab States and North America.
India is one of the founding members of AIBD.
- Prasar Bharati, India's public service broadcaster, is a representative body of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting of the Government of India in the AIBD.
Significance of India's joining AIBD:
- Holding such a prestigious position in an international broadcasting institution like AIBD reflects the strong confidence the international media has in India and Prasar Bharati. It also lays a strong foundation for India to strategically achieve future achievements in the field of broadcasting.