Indian badminton player HS Prannoy has won the bronze medal in the men's singles category at the BWF World Badminton Championships 2023.
The BWF World Badminton Championships 2023 was organised from 21 to 27 August 2023 at the Royal Arena in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Copenhagen is hosting the BWF World Championships for the fifth time.
- Indian badminton player HS Prannoy (ranked 9th in the world) had to settle for the bronze medal after losing to Kunlavut Witidsarn (ranked 3rd) of Thailand in the men's singles semi-final match on 25 August 2023.
5th player to win Prannoy medal at BWF World Badminton Championships:
- HS Prannoy has become the fifth Indian men's singles player to win a medal at the BWF World Badminton Championships.
- Among his compatriots, Kidambi Srikanth remains the only player to reach the men's singles final, having achieved the feat in 2021.
- Apart from this, Prakash Padukone won bronze medal in 1983, B Sai Praneeth won bronze medal in 2019, Kidambi Srikanth won silver medal in 2021, Lakshya Sen won bronze medal in 2021.
About Badminton World Federation (BWF)
- It is the international governing body for badminton recognized by the International Olympic Committee.
- It was founded in 1934 as the International Badminton Federation with nine member countries.
- The BWF sets the rules and standards for badminton, including equipment regulations, player eligibility criteria and tournament formats.
- BWF hosts major international badminton tournaments such as the World Championships and the Olympic Badminton Tournament.
- The BWF promotes ethics and fair play in badminton and punishes players and officials who violate its code of conduct.
Establishment - 5 July 1934
President - Paul-Erik Hoyer Larsen
Headquarters - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Membership - 198 member associations