Dr Dinesh Dasa took the oath of office and secrecy as a member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on 29 September 2023. Union Public Service Commission Chairman Dr. Manoj Soni administered the oath to him.
- Dr. Dinesh Dasa holds a PhD in Forest Law and Sustainable Development from Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar and an M.Sc. in Forestry (Agroforestry and Ecology) from Gujarat Agricultural University, Navsari.
Dr. Dasa has held various positions in UPSC:
- Dr. Dinesh Dasa has previously served as the Chairman of Gujarat Public Service Commission from February 2016 to January 2022.
- Dr. Dasa was the Chairman of the Standing Committee of All India Public Service Commission from December 2020 to January 2022.
Standing Committee of All India Public Service Commission:
- Standing Committee is a committee of 9 members constituted by the Hon'ble UPSC Chairman, representing all the 28 State Public Service Commissions in the National Conference every year to coordinate with UPSC on various issues.
- Dr. Dasa was also the chairman of the drafting committee to prepare model syllabus and examination pattern for civil services examinations in the states.
- The draft presented by Dr. Dinesh Dasa Committee was largely accepted in the 20th National Conference of Chairpersons of all State Public Service Commissions, which was held in Goa on 12 and 13 January, 2018.
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC):
- The Union Public Service Commission acts as a kind of central recruitment agency in India. It is an independent constitutional central body.
- Under Article 312 of the Indian Constitution, Parliament is empowered to create one or more All India Services (including an All India Judicial Service) for the Union and the States.
- Recruitment in all these All India Services is done by the Union Public Service Commission. Whereas recruitment for administrative services at the state level is done by the State Public Service Commission.
- Under Articles 315 to 323, Part XIV of the Indian Constitution provides for the composition of the Union Public Service Commission, the appointment and removal of its members and the powers and functions of the Union Public Service Commission.
Various provisions regarding members of UPSC:
- The Chairman and other members of UPSC are appointed by the President.
- A member of UPSC shall hold office for a term of six years or till the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- No person who has once held office as a member of the Public Service Commission shall be eligible for re-appointment to his office.
- A member of UPSC can resign from his post by submitting a written resignation letter to the President of India.
- The Chairman or any other member of UPSC can be removed from his post only by the order of the President of India.
- The President may also suspend the Chairman or any other Member before he completes his office, subject to a reference to the Supreme Court.