Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) signed an MoU on 13 September 2023 to develop indigenous communication based train control system (I-CBTC).
This partnership will transform rail transportation in India, spur innovation, reduce costs and promote self-reliance in the field of train control signaling systems.
- This partnership is aligned with the Government of India's 'Make in India' initiative under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. This technical communication-based train control system (CBTC) has also been implemented in major metros of the world.
Benefits of i-CBTC:
- The communication-based train control system will optimize train operations, increase frequency and enhance passenger services while efficiently using rail infrastructure.
- The prototype i-CBTC product will be deployed on the test track soon.
- DMRC aims to optimize train operations by efficiently utilizing the rail infrastructure.
- DMRC had earlier this year deployed indigenous Automated Train Supervision System (I-ATS) on the Red Line to suit Indian conditions.
- I-CBTC has been developed to promote self-reliance in metro signaling and train control systems.
- Along with this, the aim is to reduce dependence on foreign vendors by promoting Make in India initiative, and also to promote indigenization and standardization.
This effort has been undertaken by a team of 50 engineers from DMRC and BEL. Which mainly deals with the field of signaling technology, software development, hardware development, security processes, RAMS, testing.