What is the news?
- The Famous ‘Srivilliputhur Palkova’ produced in and around Srivilliputhur town in Virudhunagar district of Tamil Nadu received the Geographical Indication (GI) tag from the Geographical Indications Registry of India.
- Srivilliputhur Cooperative Primary Milk Producers Society granted the GI tag to Srivilliputhur Palkova.
- The uniqueness about this Palkova is that it is made only from milk of cows reared in and around Srivilliputhur. It tastes better as the cow milk from this region has more fat content. The producers make about 3.25 kilograms to 3.5 kilograms of Palkova from every 10 litres of milk.
What is Geographical Indication?
- In India Geographical indications is provided for various items on the basis of the geographical Indications Act 1999 (Registration and Security).
- A geographical indication (GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin. In order to function as a GI, a sign must identify a product as originating in a given place. In addition, the qualities, characteristics or reputation of the product should be essentially due to the place of origin. Since the qualities depend on the geographical place of production, there is a clear link between the product and its original place of production.
- These are two types of products. One is the product which explains the place of origin such as Darjeeling tea, champagne, etc., other non-geographical traditional names that indicate that the products are related to a particular region such as basmati.
- The geographical indicator is usually given for 10 years and has to be renewed after 10 years.
What are the advantages of geographical Indication?
- This promotes the reliability of the product and gives the product a specialty.
- Through this, the process of old information, products, manufacturing is protected.
- Investors are easily available to invest in the production of a product related to geographical Indication compare to other products.
- It develops the concerned sector and brings prosperity to the concerned area.
- The consumer also gets pure products and gets rid of fake products.
|S.No||Geographical Indication product||Related area|
|2||Kolhapuri Chappal||Maharashtra and Karnataka|
|4||Erode Turmeric||Tamil Nadu|
|9||Darjeeling Tea||West Bengal|
|10||Kullu Shawl||Himachal Pradesh|
|11||Fulkari||Rajasthan, Punjab, Haryana|
|13||Coorg Green Cardamom||Karnataka|
|15||Salem Silk||Tamil Nadu|